Water Quality Association

Water Treatment For Dummies

Issue link: http://wqa.uberflip.com/i/610194

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 10 of 51

5 Water from the ground When rainwater or melting snow seeps into the ground, it collects in underground pockets called aquifers, which store the groundwater and form the water table, another name for the highest level of water that an aquifer can hold. Water levels can reach the water table or fall well below it depending on such factors as rainfall, drought, or the rate at which the water is being used. Groundwater usually comes from aquifers through a drilled well or natural spring. Water on the surface Surface water flows through or collects in streams, rivers, lakes, reservoirs, and oceans — and not underground like groundwater. Surface water can be beautiful, even pristine-looking, but most of it isn't directly fit for drinking. Fully 97 percent is found in the oceans and can't be used for drinking because of its salt content. The other 3 percent of water is fresh, and most of that is locked up in ice or glaciers. How Water Gets to Your Home or Business Typically, pipes bring the water supply from a facility that treats the water to your home or business. A well built and maintained distribution system of pipes helps ensure its quality. Another format to provide water specific for drinking to a home or business would be the installation of a water cooler or the delivery of bottled water. These materials are the copyright of John Wiley & Sons, Inc. and any dissemination, distribution, or unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.

Articles in this issue

view archives of Water Quality Association - Water Treatment For Dummies